Friday, July 4, 2008

Alarm clock fiasco

Yesterday morning we got up earlier than planned because of the "alarm clock fiasco".. Yes, I should explain.

My alarm clock isn't working that well. When you press the snooze button after setting the alarm, it won't go off anymore. But I'm used to that now and found my workarounds for it.

A second problem is when it does go off and you want to wake up at the same time the following morning -thus not changing the time- it won't go off either. Nice isn't it? It won't go off if you don't change the time.

The workaround I have is to change the set time with like one minute. But I already did that one night, so I couldn't go on because it would get later and later. Still following me? Wow.
So I thought of setting the alarm one minute back. As you know with most alarm clocks you can only go forward to get back in time, the same with mine. Well, in my situation the alarm was set at 7.31 and I would like to have it one minute back. Notice the difference between "one minute back" and "7.30", the first was my mental model at that time in the night :). So I held the minute-key to until it was 7.55 and then released it on 7.59, which was "one minute back". There was the error, but it wasn't the final error yet.
At that moment I thought that I would have to do the same with the hour-key to get it back at 6 (I was awake enough for that thought :)). But I didn't want to do the same with the hour-key so I thought; "Well, I changed the time already so the alarm will work. Let's just add one minute so I won't need to change the hours." And that is where it went wrong and we got up at seven :).

The good thing was I could take it easy.

No comments: